Centre for Research and Technology Hellas - CERTH
The Hellenic Institute of Transport (H.I.T.) is part of the Centre for Research and Technology Hellas (CERTH) which is a non-profit organization that directly reports to the General Secretariat for Research and Technology (GSRT), of the Greek Ministry of Culture, Education and Religious Affairs.
HIT's main objective is the conduct and support of applied research activities in the field of transportation in Greece. More specifically on issues relating to organization, operation, planning and development of infrastructure, and standardization, economic analysis, management, vehicle technology, and impact assessment of land, maritime, air, and multimodal transport services. Also training and education activities in related fields, dissemination of research activities and the Representation of Greece, in Transport Research and other relevant scientific fora abroad.
The mission of HIT is to provide state of the art research and create innovation in the field of Transport in Greece and in Europe. Also to provide services that produce scientific results, implementable outcomes and specialized knowledge, to support policy and decision making in the field of Transport in Greece.
H.I.T. is a highly recognized research body in the field of Transport. Since its establishment in 2000 it has been a leading research institution in Greece offering specialized basic and applied research and highly technical services in all fields of transport.
H.I.T. has been recognized as a center of excellence in several fields and is a well recognized source of innovation and entrepreneurship in the field of transport in Europe, thus achieving one of the key objectives of the Center for Research and Technology Hellas (CERTH).
The Institute cooperates with local, private and public bodies and other institutions in Europe and internationally, and represents Greece in various International trade and scientific fora.
More specifically the Hellenic Institute of Transport undertakes the following activities:
- Conduct research projects or specialized studies on basic and applied research;
- Set up and operate a bibliographical center emphasizing on Transportation related research activities and publications;
- Formulates standards and standardization processes in its fields of interest, working together with the institutional standardization bodies and organizations;
- Create and maintain databases on transport-related issues;
- Translate and publish international transportation standard;
- Dissemination of the research results in the Greek market with an emphasis on the Public Sector;
- Assessment and evaluation of research activities in the Transport field and of related institutions (Academia, other bodies);
- Promotion of bilateral as well as multilateral co-operation between Greece and other countries in the field of Transport, with emphasis in the countries of South East Europe;
- Representing Greece in in Transport Research and other relevant scientific fora and Public bodies;
- Organizing conferences and national and international events;
- Organization of training and professional education Seminars and Programmes;
- Contributing to quality control services in the Transport sector and the issuing of relevant certificates;
- Publishing research results in Greek and international journals and conferences;
- Publishing periodical reports (annual or bi-annual) that depict the progress on the overall greek transport system as well as focusing on the sub-systems (vehicle, rail, aviation, maritime).
Centre for Research and Technology Hellas - CERTH - is involved in the following projects: FOTSIS, PROSPERITY, RAIN-EX, IN LIFE, ITS OBSERVATORY, RESOLUTE, SOCIAL CAR, E-FERRY, NOVELOG, CLOUD4All, ISABELLE, FUTUREMED, CITY-HUB, ERANET III, Loginn, Compass4D, GREENBERTH and SOLUTIONS.