SOLUTIONSplus is back with a brand new e-course!
The SOLUTIONSPlus Global Learning Programme on electric mobility is about to kick off the fourth e-course, about the electrification of paratransit services.
And what is Paratransit, you may ask? It is a transportation service that supplements larger public transport systems by providing individualized rides without fixed routes or timetables.
In many cities of the Southern Hemisphere, paratransit services represent an important share of the transport offer, if not the only one (especially in secondary cities and small cities). Despite the obvious benefits of paratransit services (provision of transport services at no cost for local authorities), due to the negative externalities generated by the sector, more and more actions and reforms aim at reforming the sector by introducing new technologies for instance to mitigate the GHG emissions, improve the quality of service and the working conditions for the operators.
This is a 5-unit course, that will be run over 5 weeks. The course will be officially launched on 5 June and run until mid-July. Each week, a new unit will be published online:
- Unit 1: Overview of the paratransit sector: This unit will present the main characteristics of the paratransit sector worldwide, and contextualize the recent trend towards electrification in the mobility sector, and the paratransit industry in particular.
- Unit 2: Actions and regulations at the national level: This Unit presents some of the main actions that need to be implemented at a national level by the authorities to set the appropriate framework for the electrification of the paratransit sector.
- Unit 3: Actions and regulations at the local level: In this Unit, specific actions, measures and issues will be presented and discussed at the local level, to ensure the consistent integration of electric paratransit services into urban mobility systems.
- Unit 4: Engaging with paratransit operators: As operators are key stakeholders in the urban mobility sector in many cities, it is crucial to understand how the electrification of paratransit services might impact their business models, practices and interactions.
- Unit 5: Deployment of e-paratransit operations and services: Considering the implementation of e-paratransit services, recommendations are articulated regarding the actions to take depending on the type of services to deploy (2, 3 or 4 wheelers).
At the end of the course, the objective is to provide a general understanding of the main outcomes of the electrification transition within the paratransit industry, while taking into consideration the specificities of the sector and its operators. Throughout the 5 units, participants will gain knowledge of the main planning requirements and the different steps to undertake when considering paratransit electrification and their integration into urban mobility systems. The constraints and interests of the various stakeholders will be addressed more specifically, to ensure the development of inclusive projects.
The e-course on paratransit electrification results is led by CODATU. The e-course units are coordinated by UEMI and CODATU, supported by POLIS and Rupprecht Consult.
Register here and join the kick-off webinar on 5 June from 12:00 to 13:00 CET to learn more about what to expect from the e-course and each unit. The e-course is free of charge and will be hosted on the Mobility Academy platform.
In case of any questions, do not hesitate to contact Andréia Lopes Azevedo, Pedro Gomes, Cláudia Ribeiro, and Marina Martin Vilches.