Web-events on Zero Emission Zones for freight delivery
The workshop Successfully Implement Zero Emission Zones for freight delivery and related events (31/03-2/04) were cancelled due to COVID-19. The work went on(line) – and we have put together an online program on ZEZ for freight.
Cities need to improve quality of life and attract people and business. Policies addressing air pollution, congestion and safety directly affect the delivery of goods and services in urban areas worldwide.
Within Europe, the 2011 White Paper on Transport of the European Commission has established the target to reach CO2-free city logistics in major urban environments by 2030. From a local perspective, transport-related pollution is raising concern due to health implications and several cities have taken fast action and implemented Low or Zero Emissions Zones (ZEZ). To speed up transition, they have established a local dialogue with the private stakeholders concerned.
Among other solutions, electrification of vehicles is emerging as a leading technology to achieve these objectives. Battery size, efficiency and fuel consumption, Greenhouse Gas regulations and ZEZ are the main parameters for the optimization of the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and driving the demand and supply of the Heavy-Duty and Medium-Duty vehicles. However, market uptake of ZE vehicles with current logistics models is not yet matching Return on Investment and Cost-Benefit criteria, hence these new solutions are only competitive under very specific circumstances.
Why are ZEZ for freight a priority? What problems do they solve and what benefits do they bring? What is the Cities, Companies and Countries perspective on the implementation of ZEZ schemes that fosters a sustainable transition from an economic, environmental and social point of view?
Recording is available here.
- Webinar: Strategic initiatives on ZEZ for urban freight.
- ZEZ webinar: introduction – Giacomo Lozzi, Polis Network
- Zero Emission Zones: don’t be afraid to start with freight – Sita Holtslag, RVO-Transport Decarbonisation Alliance
- Zero Emission city logistics: the role of EU Regulation – Pauline Fournols, Transport & Environment
- C40 Green and Healthy Streets Declaration: ensuring a major area of our city is zero emission by 2030 – Cristina Miclea, C40
- Polis-ALICE strategic dialogue: public-private cooperation on sustainable city logistics – Giacomo Lozzi, Polis Network & Fernando Liesa, ALICE
- Web-meeting A. The right mix of measures to support ZEZ schemes. Leading organization: Polis & TDA (Giacomo Lozzi, Sita Holtslag).
- Web-meeting B. Logistics operations and space management with ZEZ. Leading organization: ALICE (Charlotte Migne, FM Logistic and ALICE Urban Logistics Chair).
- Web-meeting C. The role of (fast) e-charging infrastructure for ZEZ. Leading project: ASSURED (Henning Günter, Rupprecht Consult).