New Urban Mobility Initiative: Five consultation workshops for stakeholders in June
The European Commission is holding five consultation workshops in June to gather feedback on the new Urban Mobility Initiative, currently under preparation. POLIS is contributing to the organisation of the workshops in the framework of Eltis, the urban mobility observatory.
The Urban Mobility Initiative will operationalise the goals of the Sustainable and Smart Transport Strategy (presented in December 2020) by proposing actions needed to address common urban mobility challenges like pollution, congestion, accessibility and urban road safety, thus improving people’s quality of life. Additional information is available in the published roadmap.
In line with the priorities of the European Green Deal and the Sustainable and Smart Transport Strategy, transport – including urban mobility – should become drastically less polluting and undergo twin green and digital transitions, to build a resilient and sustainable transport system for generations to come.
Within the framework of the consultation process on its new initiative, the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Mobility and Transport is organising five consultation workshops on topics of interest for stakeholders and the public:
- 14 June 14:00–16:00: Consultation workshop on the new EU urban mobility initiative for local and regional authorities, civil society and the general public, including a political session (by invitation only), organised in cooperation with the European Committee of Regions – registration
- 15 June 14:00–16:00: Consultation workshop on the new EU urban mobility initiative for representatives of the Member States Expert Group on Urban Mobility (EGUM)
- 21 June 14:30–16:30: Consultation workshop on the new EU urban mobility initiative: Urban freight transport and logistics – registration
- 24 June, 10:00–12:00: Consultation workshop on the new EU urban mobility initiative: Sustainable Urban Mobility Plans (SUMPs) and Mobility Management – registration
- 28 June, 10:00–12:00: Consultation workshop on the new EU urban mobility initiative: Urban Vehicle Access Regulations (UVARs) – registration
The workshops allow urban mobility practitioners, stakeholders and the public to have their say on policy and priorities being addressed at the European level, and on specific actions to be included in the new urban mobility initiative.
The initiative is due to be published by the end of the year.