Apply to host the 2028 TRA Conference!
In 2028, one lucky European city will host the 12th biennial Transport Research Arena (TRA) Conference. Is your city interested in bringing innovative mobility research and solutions to the rest of Europe? Then submit your application today!
The TRA Conference is Europe's leading biennial research and technology conference on transport and mobility. Since 2006, the TRA has aimed to give visibility to research and innovation related to all forms of transport and a range of pressing mobility challenges. In 2024 and 2026, the Conference will be hosted in Dublin and Budapest, respectively, but the host of the 2028 Conference remains to be decided. Do you think that your city might be up to the task? Then be sure to apply before 1 February 2024!
TRA's mission: Advancing mobility research
The TRA Conference aims to showcase cutting-edge research and innovations for both passenger and freight transport in all settings: urban, inter-urban, and long-distance. Every two years, it is hosted in a different European country following a rotation schedule. The country hosting the Conference organises the event in collaboration with the European Commission (EC), the European Technology Platforms for Aviation (ACARE), Construction (ECTP), Road (ERTRAC), Rail (ERRAC), Water (Waterborne) and Logistics (ALICE), the Conference of European Directors of Roads (CEDR), and the European Transport Research Alliance (ETRA).
If you choose to host the 2028 TRA Conference, you will be responsible for:
- Strategic and political decisions
- Coordination of preparatory activities
- Chairing TRA Committees and implementing Committee decisions
- Overseeing legal and financial responsibilities related to the Conference
Who can apply?
Your application must be submitted on behalf of a European city with the formal support of at least:
- Your relevant national Ministry of Transport, and, if relevant, other Ministries (e.g. of research and innovation)
- One internationally renowned national research entity
- Any national transport-related industries (highly welcomed, but not a requirement!)
Ready to make your mark?
You can submit your application until 1 February 2024. From February to March, proposals will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Experience with event management, communications, marketing activities, and budget oversight (especially on scientific, innovation-focused, and international events)
- Commitment to funding the event without EU sponsorship (presented in the form of a conference budget plan)
- Attractiveness and suitability of the venue and Conference concept
- Expected legacy of the event and its implications for future cooperation in European transport and innovation
- Links to European, regional, and national research and innovation ecosystems.
The final selection of the 2028 Conference host will announced next March at TRA2024 Dublin.
Ready to host Europe's biggest biennial research and technology conference on transport and mobility? Apply today! You can find all necessary information in the TRA 2028 Call for Candidates and on the TRA website.