Seven schemes to assess the environmental performance of different types of fleets.
The ECOSTARS project set up seven fleet recognition schemes. Each ECOSTARS scheme rated vehicles and operating practices using star rating criteria, to recognise levels of environmental and energy savings performance. Operators then received tailor-made support to ensure an efficient and cost-effective fleet, to help them progress to higher ratings within the scheme.
ECOSTARS Key Results:
The scheme members stated that what they gained most from participation was an objective measurement of fleet standards (36%), an increased public relations value from media coverage (31%), and a better understanding of fuel costs (20%) and CO2 emissions (12%). In terms of the environmental impact of the project, we found that ECOSTARS members have gained:
- A range of savings in fuel consumption from 1.1% up to 5% due to the adoption of eco-driving techniques.
- A reduction in fuel consumption through the implementation of tailored advice given in their road maps from 0.2% up to 10%.
- A fuel efficiency gain of 3.5% where low resistance tires have been deployed.
- An improvement of more than 8% in fleet management proficiency by using in-cab telematics devices.
- A reduction in fuel consumption of by decreasing the speed limiters from 85 km/h to 83 km/h.
The project was funded by the European Intelligent Energy Europe (IEE) Programme.
- For further information, please visit ECOSTARS' TRIMIS page