Local Digital Twins Workshop: Forging the cities of tomorrow
The complex nature of city processes and systems makes it challenging to deliver effective urban change. Local Digital Twins (LDTs) allows to disrupt siloed policy-making by exploring and experimenting with new ideas across virtual replicas of cities and regions. On October 13, a workshop will take place to engage cities interested in LDTs to raise awareness of the Commission's policy, clarify the concept, and identify what capacity-building needs they have.
Local Digital Twins (LDTs) are a disruptive concept with untapped potential to achieve the goals of the European Green Deal and the Commission's digital ambitions, allowing for greater co-creation with citizens. The Commission plans to enable cities/regions to create their LDTs, with funding allocated for the development of technical aspects.
Taking place on October 13, 2021, 16:30 - 18:00 (CEST), the session will include a presentation by two cities, who will explain their journey, covering how they decided to use a digital twin, what enablers they put in place (technological and governance related) and what their main challenges have been. This will be followed by small group discussions on what capacity they would need to build to be able to embark on such a journey. Coming back from the breakout session, a Sli.do will capture the main training needs listed. As a conclusion, LEAD and DUET partners will briefly present their (planned) capacity building programmes.
The session aims to address the following questions:
- What are Local Digital Twins? How can both small and medium-sized and larger cities benefit from them?
- What are the steps needed for the planning, design, and implementation of Digital Twins in cities?
- What are the main challenges and potential for the implementation of Digital Twins?
- How can Capacity Building empower cities in this endeavour?
- Setting the scene
- Stories from the ground: experience of a city from the LEAD and DUET projects
- Breakout sessions: discussions in small groups about training/capacity building needs
- Capacity building for the deployment of Local Digital Twins