"Parking is a catalyst for urban mobility innovation"
Historically, cities have been powerful out of randomness not the slick and clean that the digital revolution forwards, said ITF's Philippe Crist in his opening keynote. Creativity is different from developments that impact our cities, such as the artificial intelligence, which will bring anticipating of our behavior.
Petr Horsky of the Czech Parking Association, explained that initially, people saw cars as their jewels and argued that the city would be decorated by them, but slowly the perception of cars changes. Tsvetan Tsolov of Sofia reinforced the story. They received criticism of the local businesses and residents. But putting more efforts in promotion of the causes helped gaining acceptance of parking restrictions.
Karen Mounier of La Rochelle and Olivier Asselin of Metropole Lille talked about French depenalization reform, in which every city had to develop a new parking policy. Together with others, theystressed the integration of on- and off-street parking, saying that underground parking needs to become cheaper than on street parking, particularly for long parking periods. Vaclav Lukes of Prague enriched this with experience from Prague, where digital parking enforcement is already a reality today.
The Park4SUMP project, introduced by Tom Rye will develop the ParkPAD tool to review review parking policies, achieve consensus on improvements and to develop an action plan for parking in the participating cities.
All presentations can be downloaded as follows:
Key note: moving from parking to managing the curb space
Parking Policy in the Czech Republic
- Petr Horský, Chairman, Czech Parking Association
- František Konečný, Deputy Mayor of the City of České Budějovice
Fair and Efficient Enforcement: Backbone of Your City’s Parking Policy
- Václav Lukeš, Specialist, CPA/Prague
- Tsvetan Tsolov, Head Intern. Projects Department, Sofia Urban Mobility Centre
- Karen Mounier, Chef du Service Stationnement, La Rochelle
- Peter Dingemans, Director Business Development, ParKam
Parking as Catalyst for Urban Mobility Innovation
- Jiame Briales, City of Malaga
- Bram Leusink, Consultant, EV Consult
- Eric Dubois, Director General, Parking.brussels
- Jan Klepiš, Business Development Leader, ČSOB
Current Research and Policy Developments in Parking