Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute
The Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute (VTI), is an independent and internationally prominent research institute in the transport sector.
Their principal task is to conduct research and development related to infrastructure, traffic and transport, and they are dedicated to the continuous development of knowledge pertaining to the transport sector.
Their operations cover all modes of transport, and the subjects of pavement technology, infrastructure maintenance, vehicle technology, traffic safety, traffic analysis, users of the transport system, the environment, the planning and decision making processes, transport economics and transport systems.
For example, they conduct wide ranging research including:
- cycling, focusing on those factors which encourage and/or discourage bicycle usage.
- environment, developing and communicating relevant knowledge that supports different players in society
- Maintenance, efficient operation and maintenance measures on both roads, pedestrian footpaths and cycle paths, and railways and tramways.
- individual and groups of road users, travellers and users of the transport system. The focus is on questions concerning the individual's or group's possibilities and limitations in their interaction with traffic and other road users.
- Transport economics, questions relating to the pricing and financing of infrastructure measures for locating residential areas and companies, socio-economic calculations, environmental economics, road safety issues and railway economics.