Polis joins NUvit "Networking for Urban Vitality" initiative launched by Rijkswaterstaat
Networking for Urban Vitality (NUVit) focuses on the integration of multimodal infrastructure and spatial planning. This enables the synergetic integration of spatial development with investments in infrastructure – across all relevant scale levels (local, regional and corridor) – in order to achieve added value.
Best practices across Europe show that by implementing such an integrated approach, significant benefits can be achieved in accelerating infrastructure delivery, environmental and spatial quality, investment climate, mobility network resilience and stakeholder commitment.
The conference on Networking for Urban Vitality (NUVit) held in Amsterdam in June 2016 aimed:
- to exchange best practices and knowledge;
- to develop an international network of professionals in cities, regions and countries;
- agenda-setting of integrated planning of infrastructure and urban development at EU level.
The event was attended by European policy-makers and experts in transport and urban planning.
The conference was chaired by Mr. Steve Phillips, Secretary General of the Conference of European Directors of Roads (CEDR) and opened with two keynote speeches of Ms. Daniela Rosca, Head of Clean Transport & Sustainable Urban Mobility (EC) and Mr. Jan Hendrik Dronkers, Director General of Rijkswaterstaat (NL). The latter introduced Networking for Urban Vitality: an international initiative.
Three NUVit practical experiences followed:
- Sweden - Ms. Lena Erixon Director General of Trafikverket (SE)
- Belgium - Mr. Peter Cabus, Secretary General Spatial Development Departmetn Flander (BE)
- International reflection by Mr. Ton Venhoeven VenhoevenCS / Former State Advisor on Infrastructure (NL)
Polis will follow up with its members on the next steps of NUVit in the coming months.
NUVit was launched by Rijkswaterstaat, an Agency which is part of the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment and responsible for the design, construction, management and maintenance of the main infrastructure facilities in the Netherlands.
Latest publication: NUVit 2015-20916 Practical cases and innovation agenda
For more information, please visit the NUVit website.