Cities invited to apply for Transformative Action Award
The European sustainability award, co-organised by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability, the Basque Country, and the City of Aalborg (Denmark) and supported by the European Committee of the Regions and the European Investment Bank, is given to a city, region or civil society organisation, which implements the 15 pathways outlined in the Basque Declaration to bring about the socio-cultural, socio-economic, and technological transformation of their community.
The actions taken are local or regional contributions to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Climate Agreement.
Rewards for the winner include:
- €10,000 to kick-start a Transformative Action in your city, region or municipality
- Showcase on the Sustainable Cities Platform
- Promotion through ICLEI website, ICLEI in Europe e-newsletter and social media channels
- Publicity in publications related to sustainable development
- A trophy and the right to be called ‘Transformative Action of the year 2020’
- Digital ‘Transformative Action of the year 2020’ icon for use on websites, Social Media accounts and in email signature
- Free entrance to the 9th European Conference on Sustainable Cities & Towns – Mannheim2020 (Sep 30-2 Oct, Mannheim, Germany)
The competition is open to any local or regional authority, or civil society organisation located in an EU Member State, EEA country or EU candidate or accession country that has endorsed the Basque Declaration. Endorsing the Basque Declaration only takes a few minutes and can be done on our website. For more information about the Basque Declaration and how to endorse it, click here.
Ideas are welcomed for transformative actions with a high level of innovation, for example in terms of social innovation and civic economy, that inspire others to replicate the action elsewhere in Europe. Actions are preferably part of a local strategy or vision rather than standalone. Transformative actions should combine various pathways and address one or more agendas of the Basque Declaration, and should achieve a comprehensive transformation with a positive local or regional impact.
Applicants should complete and submit their application form by 23.59 (CEST), 31 July 2020 through the Transformative Actions Database.
To find out more, please see the Sustainable Cities Platform.