Apply for the European Capital of Innovation Award 2018
What cities can apply?
The contest is open to cities:
- With over 100 000 inhabitants (in countries where there is no city with more than 100 000 inhabitants, the largest city is eligible to apply)
- From an EU Member State or a country associated to Horizon 2020, the EU's research and innovation programme.
Applicant cities will be judged on the innovative solutions to their relevant societal challenges, which they started after 1st January 2017. Cities will in particular have to prove how they created the local conditions to innovate, by:
- Experimenting innovative concepts, processes, tools, and governance models as a test-bed for innovation
- Engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensuring the uptake of their ideas
- Expanding the city's attractiveness to become a role model for other cities
- Empowering the local ecosystem through the implementation of innovative practices
Jury and Prizes
Applications will be judged by a panel of independent and highly-qualified experts from across Europe, appointed under Horizon 2020 rules.
Three cities will be awarded a prize. The winner of the first prize – the European Capital of Innovation 2018 – will receive €1 000 000. Two runners-up cities will receive €100 000 each.
In 2017, 32 cities applied for the iCapital Award, of which 10 were shortlisted as candidates. Read more about the past editions of the prize.
If your city meets the criteria listed above, apply here before 21 June 2018!