TfL's real-time bus arrival information system shortlisted for 2012 Transport Achievement Award
"Countdown" provides passengers with live bus arrival and service disruption information for every one of London’s 8,500 buses on 700 routes for all 19,000 bus stops, which makes it the largest real-time bus arrival information system in the world. The information is available via internet and smartphones, as well as by text message. These digital information delivery channels are complemented by 2,500 new generation on-street signs at key bus stops.
With around 2 million web hits and 20,000 texts sent per day, Transport for London’s Countdown internet and text service has proved to be a huge success since its launch in September 2011.
From this year’s applications, the award jury has short-listed 10 high quality projects from Australia, Austria, Denmark, Germany, Japan, Singapore and the United Kingdom (listed in alphabetical order):
- DSB S-tog, Denmark
- East Japan Railway Company, Japan
- Land Transport Authority, Singapore
- Stagecoach South Western Trains Ltd, UK
- Toll Collect and ASFINAG, Germany and Austria
- Toyama City/Toyama Light Rail/Toyama Chihou Tetsudo Inc, Japan
- Transport for London, Association of Train Operating companies and Cubic, UK
- Transport for London – Countdown, UK
- VicRoad, Australia
- Wiener Linien/Verkehrsverbund Ost Region, Austria
More information: click here.